The best-known application of acupuncture for dogs is in the treatment of hip disorders (hip dysplasia). But there are a number of other small animal ailments that can be treated with acupuncture, such as incontinence (especially in spayed dogs), spondylitis, diarrhea and chronic ear infections.
Cats also respond very well to acupuncture, for example when they have kidney failure or chronic rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal mucous membrane).
Among the dog and cat ailments acupuncture can treat:
- Hip dysplasia, Elbow dysplasia
- Chronic rhinitis/feline asthma
- Spondylitis (degenerative spinal osteoarthritis)
- Pain and paresis (partial paralysis) due to herniated discs
- Chronic otitis (ear infection)
- Lack of appetite
- Chronic kidney failure in cats
- Hotspots (due to persistent licking)
- Supportive treatment in tendon- and ligament injuries